Friday, February 7, 2014

Growing up

I talked to a friend today and she mentioned something truly meaningful to both of our lives. Growing up with parents disapproving the lifestyle I want to achieve can really affect my mentality since their opinion matters so much to me. But at this time in my life, I can't take no as an answer from my parents. Otherwise, how else am I going to grow up?

My friend mentioned that she is continuing her studies here at CSUSB to be closer to family as their request. She also mentioned the more she stays here, the more it drives her out to live in the city once she finishes school. I can completely relate to that. Although I achieved my studies close to home, it doesn't satisfy me enough to stay here. 

It is true that they say once you've seen and experienced other places it's hard to go back home. Maybe it's because I am young and have this rebel persona built inside of me, but hey, at least I'm going for my studies and my dream career. I know what I want. I just want to go out there and prove that I am able to achieve my goals and dreams to my parents, but it's hard for them to see that since they're so worried. At least I have parents that care? 

This crossing path between fulfilling my parent's needs and going for my dreams has really brought a downer on me this week, considering I received good news. I have a chance to go and study at a graduate program in a city I admire so much. 

You'd figure I wouldn't have a problem dealing with my parents about me going after my dreams since I've done study abroad twice in my life, but sometimes they affect me pretty bad. But I know part of growing up means that I should create the life I want to live by without anyone's consent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

count