Wednesday, September 12, 2012

How I'm getting by

I spent the first two months back reaching out to people I know from my hometown and to familiar places to help me feel like I'm at home again. By this month I realized by doing that continued to show how much I have changed and in result, I want different things, which separates me from a few people. Now I'm starting to isolate myself more but it's not a bad type of isolation. I'm figuring out what I want to do with my life. I'm constantly keeping inspired and reaching out to people who I've met abroad and they've been helping me a lot.


Friends reflect who you are, and when I tried to connect with friends in my hometown I just couldn't relate to them anymore. And I believe with experiencing reverse culture shock to this extent, you have to learn how to cut out a lot of things like your old friendships. And it's not in a matter of being rude either, it's about respecting yourself. You have to sort out who is important and who is not.



Also, I'm learning not to be afraid of these changes. Not only did I change while I was in Swansea, I have changed a lot this summer. I can only imagine what an experience it's going to be once I get back to CSUSB. But the important part of it all is to try and keep yourself motivated and try to sort out what gets you continuing rather than whats holding back or making you feel guilty.

I'm not trying to scare new comers who either want or are studying abroad, but if it scares you just know that yes, you're in for a big shock but know that studying abroad is honestly one of the best decisions I have ever made and feeling the way I do now is only going to make you into this open minded person who is knowledgeable about culture in your host home and so many other things!

So - embrace change, surround yourself with the right people and always stay inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment

count