Monday, October 13, 2014

Dear NYC // 5

I want to tell you how independent I have been feeling. Sometimes it gets lonely, especially when I experience new things. But no matter how many friends you make in NYC, you're still on your own more than anywhere else. I used to dislike how lonely I felt, but then I realized that spending this much time on my own is not a bad thing. 

I'm not trying to say that I'm concentrating on a relationship on myself. I'm learning a whole lot more about me, and am aware of my capabilities. I'm learning how this city encourages you to be you, and how you should take advantage of its opportunities. I'm learning that perfection isn't a goal, but excellence is, and I'm also learning that its healthy to invest in experiences you're not familiar with. 

In the beginning, I didn't see New York through a tourist's eye. Moving in is different than visiting, but there sure is no excuse to not see NYC's beauty. A classmate told me that she likes to go to Times Square whenever she feels stressed about work and school because when she does, it reminds her where she's actually living. Tourists aren't bad sometimes, but bitterness usually is.

I can't put a concrete feeling whenever I'm somewhere new. But what I can say is that I think being in NYC exactly where I need to be right now. And I do believe as the days go by, that reassurance is going to grow stronger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

count