Friday, June 28, 2013

A few new things

Maybe I should have made a separate blog regarding an Asian American living in an Asia country (other than her parent's native country) for two months, because I have been learning loads about the culture here and things about myself.

I am Vietnamese. That is what I call myself when people from America ask what ethnicity I am. But when I am outside of America, people ask of my nationality, in which I address that I am American. It makes sense, right? A few days ago, one of my Korean students told me that I look Asian. I replied with, "Yes, I am. My parents are from Vietnam." They were in total shock, and followed up by asking "I thought you were American, not Asian!" This is the first time I have encountered this kind of situation, for my belief in American culture is that no one is American by an ethnic background, but by a nationality. I'm not sure if other Americans feel this way, but I have been at a loss about discovering myself as both an Asian and American for so long and a part of me doesn't know how to carry on. I learn American culture while at the same time, try to learn my parent's traditions. I find it hard to do both while pleasing my parents and doing what I want as well.

Other things that I have learned here is that Koreans really love foreigners. Since I am Asian, I blend in with them. A few Koreans have spoken to me in Korean, assuming that I know it. It's pretty funny though! Also! My partner teacher is from Wales, and I don't know whether his presence is the reason why I feel more homesick for the UK than the US, or just by being here makes me miss my former home.

Other than these discoveries, I have been having a really good time. I am currently sick, which refrains me from going out as much as I want. I went out every day of this week and the only time I got to blog about this is today because I am resting from being sick! It's nice to have some time to myself though - I've been hanging around with big groups of people and it can get exhausting. This morning I walked with some music on. I haven't listened to music in a while. Something simple like this helps me rejuvenate.

Koreans are very nice. I love my students, they make my experience a whole lot more amazing. I am enjoying teaching so much that I don't want the next two weeks to pass by so quickly. I also don't want to start the summer school classes. I think I enjoy teaching more than learning in classes. But for now, I will leave with a few photos.

Before posting my photos, I just want to thank everyone who has been reading my blog. It means so much to me that people are reading it.








2 comments:

  1. that looks so so amazing!

    I received some similar comments when I went to Vietnam. I would be introduced as American and sometimes people would say, "but you look Asian." .....I didn't really know what to think about it haha but I didn't dwell on it too much. I even got one comment about how I don't look American at all, like what? Am I supposed to become Caucasian through osmosis in the air or something??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah exactly!

      I think some people think we transform into a white person or something lol. One of my students told me when she saw my name and enrolled in my class, she thought I would be an older Indian lady hahahah. Clearly, I am the opposite of that but yeah, it's a weird thing and we don't usually think of responses like these.

      How was Vietnam?!

      Delete

count