Saturday, June 30, 2012

Back in the USA

I should blog more than I do. Sorry for keeping my posts so minimal! There is much more that goes on in my life abroad than I documented thus far. I have now returned to California. I will update these next few days about the trips I went on. I haven't blogged about Paris, Barcelona or Edinburgh at all and they are indeed blog worthy.

It has been a week since I have left the UK. As of right now from last week, I would be waiting for luggage claim at LAX. I can't believe how fast this week has been.

As expected, returning to the states after 9 months I have encountered reverse culture shock. I have been feeling weird. I feel uncomfortable at times, but I keep reminding myself that I've lived here for most of my life, so why should I feel this way? I do miss it back in the UK, very much. I'm trying not to be bitter about returning. I do miss the independence I had, the accents and (believe it or not) the weather. 

But there isn't much to complain when I've now got my big fluffy bed, a loving dog and family and food provided for me by my family (although eventually, I want to become independent again) and the fact that it's much cheaper here than I've spent in Swansea.

When I returned, I couldn't stand the state of my room. I could tell by the condition it was in previously before I left, I had changed. I cleaned out a lot, and I plan to rearrange more.

I know in my life I will always want to travel. I also want to live in different states and countries. I don't expect myself to stay here for a long time. I think once I've accomplished one dream, I can do anything. I don't want to limit myself and I'm always going to be curious and excited to explore. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh how I loved this post.
    I hope it'll get easier adjusting to life in the US again, but don't forget how lucky you were to experience life abroad for nine months. You really are lucky to experience that unsettling change in yourself and I think life will only get better from here. :)

    P.S. I want that Paris post - ASAP! Lol, love you Linda. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally saw your comment after I made my Paris post! And thanks Miquella. Its been weird settling in but I will get used to it and I want to continue to travel. And anyone can do it, just as long as you can put your mind to it. :)

      Love you too Miquella <3 By the way, I can't access your blogger webpage. Did you get rid of it?

      Delete
  2. That was how I felt when I moved to California for a semester. Once I was there, I knew there was nothing keeping me from going to Finland, and now that I've been to Finland, I know there's nothing keeping me from any other destination. It's just a matter of saving the money. And like you, when I returned from both places, I knew I had changed in some way. I think it will take a while for you to really adjust to being back, especially since you were away and independent for so long, and there will be a lot of things that you used to like and do that just seem absurd or awful now. There's always a price for these great experiences, but they're worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely! The idea of going back and traveling still motivates me to save up because I now know it is worth it compared to when I barely traveled at all before. Do you feel adjusted back in Vermont? Or do you feel like you want to travel or move someone else? I started thinking about it a lot, and it is taking me a while to adjust. Just as I go around town I keep thinking that I'm done with this place, that I've seen it all and there is nothing much that interests me anymore. And it's hard to communicate with friends back home, just like you told me!

      Delete

count